50 years ago, on January 11, 1964, U.S. Surgeon General Luther Terry released a report on the negative effects from smoking tobacco. When you look at cigarettes ads of 20th century you just get surprised about the attitude people had towards cigarettes. Cigarettes and smoking were so cool that many famous people advertised them. Take a look at them and you will see people you probably know.
1. Famous baseball player Jackie Robinson endorses Chesterfield in this cigarette ad produced in New York City, circa 1948.
2. Actor and future American President Ronald Reagan is advertising Chesterfield cigarettes, 1950s.
3. Baseball players Stan Musial, Jackie Jensen, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Bucky Harris and Ewell Blackwell advertise Chesterfield cigarettes,1950.
4. American actress Ann Sothern in an Christmas ads for Lucky Strike cigarettes, 1954
5. Advertisement for Camel cigarettes with actor Brian Keith, opera singer Rise Stevens, writer Marguerite Higgins, General Claire L. Chennault, 1956.
6. Legendary Jazz singer Louis Armstrong in an advertisement for Camel cigarettes, 1970s.